Friday, May 9, 2008

Poor Brett

So Brett had his first surgery ever yesterday. I was pretty nervous for him, but he said he was actually excited. Brett has never had a broken bone or stitches or anything, so it was a big day for him. We got to the hospital around 12:15pm. We got to wait for a little bit until they called Brett and took him back to prep him. Let me go back a minute and explain, Brett isn't the nicest person if he hasn't eaten. I always tell people that our marriage is based on the status of Brett's stomach. If its empty we seem to have a empty marriage, when it is full, our marriage is full. So I have done my best to make sure he always has something in his tummy. To that we have an amazing marriage. Well Because of his surgery he wasn't able to eat or drink anything after mid night the night before. So He wasn't in the best of spirits that morning. But knowing how passionate he is about eating, besides a glass of milk I skipped breakfast so he wouldn't have to suffer watching me eat. So when they took Brett back to prep him his pregnant woman went to get a snack. Then they buzzed me and said I could come hang out with him until they took him back for surgery. I get to his room thinking that now that he has an IV and is in the gown he would start to be nervous. Nope not my husband, they gave him a TV to watch and he was happy as could be. Different Dr's and Nurses would come in to ask him questions and he would zone out on the TV. I was glad to see he does it to everyone and not just me haha. Then soon they came and got him for surgery. They gave me a pager, and off I went to eat lunch it was 2:15 by this time. By 3:00 I got a page, and the Dr said he was all done with surgery and it went very well. They just had to wait for him to wake up, which would be about an hour and then I could go see him. Well an hour went by and I still hadn't gotten the page. So I started to get nervous. I am sure all the pregnant hormones didn't help. But I stopped and realized with how busy the morning had been I had kissed him. Here in my mind my husband couldn't wake up and I hadn't kissed him and just to many thoughts were running through my head. Well an hour and 45 minutes (4:45Pm) after the Dr had said they were done I finally got the page that I could go see him. I walked up to his little hole in the wall, that had a recliner and that's about it, and there was my hubby. He still looked very very out of it. He had his crackers and a sierra mist. I am sure how he was feeling or anything cause he had a blank look on his face. Then he looked at me at stuck his cracker covered tongue out at me. I finally felt better, I knew he would be just fine. The next 3 hours were filled with lots of laughs as Brett slowly came back around. I he had stuck his tongue out at me a few more thimes. The best was when he would be in the middle of a really random story and fall asleep, wake up a few minutes later and start talking about something completely different. He did have his moments of Nausea and pain. But for the most part he was doing really good. we finally got to leave around 7:45. I got Brett home, then went around to a couple resturants to find him soup in a bread bowl. Which isn't that easy when its in the 80's. But I finally found it, and got his pain meds filled. He watched some TV then off to bed. So far today he is doing pretty good, but of course is sore. I am sure the lovely pain meds are keeping his spirits up. He is still pretty funny though. But for that 45 minutes of worry, I realized even more then I already knew how much I love this man and how my life would never be as good with out him. He is my best friend. Like any marriage of course we have or times, but I really think we were made for each other. We both seem to be able to fill in for eachothers weakness. I love him so much!

2 comments:

Julie Winder said...

cute post emmy. Glad Brett is feeling better, that is funny about having a full stomach a full marriage lol. Brent told some pretty funny stories too when he came out of his broken nose surgery. He was telling me how he has almost wanted to be a plumber...men! Pretty soon your turn to be pampered...

Julie Winder said...

i meant always wanted to be a plumber:)